This is interesting.  Rachel Balsam reports that Senators Murray and
Santorum sent out almost the same letters.  The letter I received from
Senator Jeffords (Vermont) this week was also almost exactly the same.
I suppose this should be expected -- since lobbying groups (including
ours) supply form letters to send to Congress, it's likely that
Congress has its own form letters to send back to us.  I'm being
somewhat facetious, although I do know that my Senators often have
"canned" responses to certain questions in their computer, and just
spew out the response that seems closest to answering a constituent's
query.  The question is: is anyone in Congress really paying attention
to our mail?

Charlie Barasch