Hello David...
So far, I've only been a 'lurker' on the old Parkinson's mail group, but your
 letter has inspired me to speak up.
I've watched my 78-year-old father suffer from the affects of the disease for
 the past several years.  His father and brother died of PD... now one of my
 male cousins has it. My father lives on Long Island, but I work and live in the
 Washington, D.C. area.  Guilt, guilt, guilt about not being able to spend more
 time with him... I try to get up to see him as often as possible.
I was particularly touched by your comment about playing music. I play the harp,
 and I know I would be devastated if I couldn't pluck anymore.  You're probably
 going to get lots of notes from people over the next few days.  I hope my long
 distance/electronic contact with you will be accepted for what it is... a
 sincere wish that you will find the strength to keep going and that there are
 people who care about you and share your situation, whether directly or
 indirectly.
You're going to get a lot of support from those on this group, and I'm sure
 you've already received some ideas on how to better cope with your symptoms.  I
 hope you'll allow me to suggest one more.  Have you ever read about a group of
 people in the Chicago area called Healing Harps?  It's a small group of harp
 players who have various neurological afflictions... Parkinson's, MS. CP, etc.
  This unusual group of amateur musicians has dicovered the healing power of
 vibrating strings... maybe I'm prejudiced, but I always thought of the harp as
 a magical instrument. Many of them started slowly, trying to flex fingers and
 make a sound.  Through determination and some physical therapy, almost all of
 the players have reported easier movement and diminishing symptoms.  The
 scientific research on the group suggests that the frequencies generated by
 vibrating strings have an affect on the thymus gland, which is believed to play
 a strong role in the auto-immune system.  When the harp is rested on the right
 shoulder and
 played, the gland is supposedly stimulated into healthy productivity (maybe
 some of the MD's in the group can explain better).  A lot of it has to do with
 the harp vibrating against your body and the air moving through the strings...
 it doesn't work with recorded music. You literally have to be in the same space
 as the instrument.
Since you already have some musical knowledge, why not think about giving the
 harp a try?  The strings are laid out exactly like a piano and it's not hard to
 learn.  I've only been at it 2 years and have performed with a rock band and
 folk group already  (I'd like to )plug in) and do something on the harp similar
 to what Jimi Hendrix did on guitar!). You can probably find a good folk harp
 for a few hundred dollars.
David, I don't mean to pose this as some 'cosmic healing pyscho-babble,'  but
 just the seed of an idea.  It's helped a lot of people minimize their symptoms,
 so I thought I'd let you know.  No one should be deprived of the joy of making
 music. A little therapy ain't bad either.  If you'd like a copy of the Chicago
 Tribune article about the Healing Harps group, please send your mailing
 address.  Also... please write back if you want to discuss this any further.  I
 use my computer at work (Mon- Fri) until I can get a new one at home (my
 husband and I just separated and he got custody of the Macintosh!).  Please be
 well and have faith.
Maura D. Bernard