>The dynamics of our discussions would be interesting -

I agree, the dynamics of this list are interesting.  I've been lurking
on this list for quite some time - at first I was unable to write because
of my company's policy on email. When I got my own email service,
I became accustomed to just reading the list.  Now and then, my email
service from this list gets cut off, but after a few days I notice I'm
missing this list.  I guess this note triggered this response in me.

My Dad, 80, has had Parkinson's for about 9 or 10 years, tho' I've only known
about it for the last year.  I joined the list because I had absolutely
no idea of what Parkinson's was, how it affects someone, what can be
done about it, etc.  I've learned a lot and most all of it is due to
this list.  I pass tips along to my Mom (the caretaker) and Dad.  When
Dad was having a particularly hard time, I told them about a support
group in their area (we live on opposite coasts of the US).  It must
have helped a lot, just knowing what other people were going through
and how they found ways to manage through the day.  Perhaps it even
made my Dad feel as if he was doing OK - he seemed to get a lot better
physically.  Don't know if he just straightened out his meds to his
rhythms, or if some of it was psychological or what.  But now he is
back to bowling and getting out of the house more.  He sounds better
when I talk to him on the phone.

>I have always felt that the individual support groups (i.e. APDA, the UK
>PDS etc.) could and should use this list (or perhaps related one) as a
>means of communicating and sharing their work.

I was thrilled when I found this list on the Internet - it quickly
educated me about the many intricacies of PD, and helped me get more
involved (even at the distance between my parents & I) by allowing me
to contribute help to my parents via COMMUNICATION.

>Anyone got some good arguements why the head offices of the support groups
>should sit up and take notice of this list?

What do they have to lose?  Lists like these enhance communication,
draw those interested for one reason or another, and are just another
format of obtaining help and useful information.  Good luck in your
endeavor.

>Simon

>Simon J. Coles                       Email: [log in to unmask]
>                                Home Phone: +44 1932 220073
>                                Work Phone: +44 1344 778783
>--------------- Life is too precious to take seriously ---------------

Susan