-- [ From: Donna Kipp * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --

On August 7, at !:00 at the University Park United Methodist Church,
4024 Caruth at Preston, Dallas. Terrie Whitling and Terry Ogden, both
of whom have had Pallidotomies at Emory University in Atlanta, will
each tell their story and answer all your questions about this surgery
which has changed their lives. Mrs. Whitling, in fact, works now as a
Patient Advocate at Emory and is the "Star" of one of their before and
after videos.
One of our fellow list members went to a similar meeting and this was
his report; Our support group met with Terry Whitling and Terry Ogden
last Sunday. They are both recipients of single side Pallidotomies in
the Emory program. I must admit both were virtual walking and talking
miracles. They both had video's of the before and after and they really
had major big time improvements. Whitling had been mostly confined to a
wheelchair and Ogden had lost so much speech and movement capabily that
both were unable to work. On Sunday when we saw them we knew they both
had PD but they had no functional loss, speech in Ogden was much
improved and both claimed virtually complete freedom from the
bradykenisia (slowness of movement). Both continue to take their
medications, both experienced changes in which ones, how often etc. .
Both had stopped taking antidepressants. Both continued to have
symptoms on the opposite side that was not operated on but the operated
side had so much benefit that they were able to overcome those
problems. Whitling is a medical social worker and is now working in the
OR at Emory and acting as patient caregiver and family intermediary
during the hours and hours of time spent in OR duirng the extensive
brain mapping process that the team does before the actual surgical
lesioning.  Hope some of You will be able to come...............Donna