I believe that every patient should have and  use a Physician's
Desk Reference constantly, especially when the field is changing so rapidly
as PD.  Not even a neurologist can be 100 % up to date.  I had to have a new
psychiatrist recently and the only one available had never worked with
Parkinsons before.  She prescribed Welbutrin instead of Prozac.  The possible
side effects take more than a page in PDR, including insomnia, fatigue
psychosis, weight gain or loss, etc.  My copy of PDR (1991) says,
"Administration of W. to patients receiving L-dopa concurrently should be
undertaken with caution,
using small initial doses and small gradual dose increases.  .. Concurrent
administration of Wel. and agents which lower threshold (for seizures) should
be undertaken
only with extreme caution."  The 1995 edition says about the same thing.

PDR contains the same info as the product information sheets included with
drugs.   Pharmacists will give you those on request. New PDRS ccost about
$50; year-old editions $20 - $30 in many bookstores such as Waldens and
Barnes & Noble.

good reading and oood health!

Bob Bishop

------- =_aaaaaaaaaa--

---------------------
550 vn.utcc.utoronto.ca (tcp)... Host unknown
550 listserv@vn.utcc.utoronto.ca... Host unknown

------- =_aaaaaaaaaa

I believe that every patient should have and  use a Physician's
Desk Reference constantly, especially when the field is changing so rapidly
as PD.  Not even a neurologist can be 100 % up to date.  I had to have a new
psychiatrist recently and the only one available had never worked with
Parkinsons before.  She prescribed Welbutrin instead of Prozac.  The possible
side effects take more than a page in PDR, including insomnia, fatigue
psychosis, weight gain or loss, etc.  My copy of PDR (1991) says,
"Administration of W. to patients receiving L-dopa concurrently should be
undertaken with caution,
using small initial doses and small gradual dose increases.  .. Concurrent
administratioon of Wel. and agents which lower threshold should be undertaken