Fellow Casllers,

It occurs to me that some of you may be interested in the current call for
papers for next year's meeting of the Canadian Society for the Study of
Rhetoric.  The Society meets in late May/early June as part of the Learneds,
which I think will be in Ste. Catharines next year.

The deadline for proposals is AUGUST 28, 1995--so not much time left.

The categories of sessions are intentionally broad, to encourage a wide
variety of submissions.  As well, even though the term does not emerge
explicitly in the current call, judging from this past year's presentations,
proposals connected with COMPOSITION theory and pedagogy are beginning to
form an important dimension of the CSSR's scope.

If any one wants to become a member of the CSSR (which you don't have to be
to send in a proposal), let me know and I'll send you a form (I'm the new
secretary-treasurer); the cost is $20/year for regular membership; $5 year
for students.

Thanks for allowing me this plug!

Philippa Spoel

***********************

CANADIAN SOCIETY FOR THE STUDY OF RHETORIC
ANNUAL CONFERENCE, MAY 1996

Please send a one page abstract for a 20 minute paper for any of the
following sessions:

I.  THEORIES OF RHETORIC:  Papers may present the theories of any
rhetorician, logician, or school of rhetoric or logic during any period of
history.  The emphasis should be on analysis, concepts, applications,
limitations, and other theoretical matters.

II.  RHETORIC, POETICS, CRITICAL THEORY IN THE ANCIENT WORLDS AND IN MEDIEVAL
EUROPE

III.  RHETORIC, POETICS, CRITICAL THEORY IN THE RENAISSANCE AND IN MODERN
EUROPE, NORTH AMERICA AND THE THIRD WORLD

IV.  RHETORIC AND SOCIAL PRACTICE: ANALYSING EVERYDAY DISCOURSES.  This
special session will focus on topics such as conversational analysis,
advertising, political discourses, television and other mass media, gender
and language, politeness theory, etc.

Abstracts should not show an identification of author and must be received by
no later than MONDAY, AUGUST 28, 1995.  Please send them to:

Professor Joanne S. Norman
Department of English
Bishop's University
Lennoxville, Quebec