I should make clear that when I set this list up I deliberately chose
to make it _more_ likely that this would happen inadvertently than
the opposite.

I've been involved in lists set up both ways.  The downside of this
sort is that there are occasional slips of the kind Doug made (many
less on CASLL, by the way, than on most such lists); the downside of
the other is that conversations die because responses are
unintentionally sent _only_ to the individual.

I don't regret the choice: I think CASLL's been pretty lively and
useful, and there haven't been lots of irrelevant messages.  (I
know, this is easier to say if you have a real fast interface and
aren't waiting for every message to download through a popmail
utility or a 2400 baud modem . . . )

                                        -- Russ
                                __|~_
Russell A. Hunt            __|~_)_ __)_|~_ HOMEPAGE: www.StThomasU
Department of English      )_ __)_|_)__ __)   .ca/faculty/hunt.htm
St. Thomas University        |  )____) |  EMAIL: [log in to unmask]
Fredericton, New Brunswick___|____|____|____/  FAX: (506) 450-9615
E3B 5G3   CANADA          \                / PHONE: (506) 363-3891