>The recent message from SORGI raises a few questions:
>WHAT are they doing on our list?
>WHY are they advertising themselves (surely not allowed on the Net)?
>WHO (if anyone, which I doubt) requested information from them, and in
>what form?
>No doubt Amelia Carr was going to ask these (or perhaps other)
>questions, and I apologise if she did: but if so I didn't receive them.
>Perhaps SORGI can be shooed away?

As they say over in the Usenet newsgroups "we been spammed."
Spamming--posting indiscriminately to unrelated groups--is very bad manners
even on the commercial Internet. I would suggest, rather than clogging up
REED-L with complaints about this unwanted and unrequested message, that
anyone as annoyed by this sort of thing as I am forward a copy with a
politely worded complaint to the postmaster at SORGI's Internet provider.
Although
the provider may ignore your complaint, it is more often the case that the
provider will pass on a sharply worded warning to SORGI. If there have been
previous complaints, SORGI may even lose their account.

If you've deleted your copy of the message, you can still send a (politely
worded) complaint to:

Yrs,
John Morris
University of Alberta