Date: Sat, 5 Aug 1995 11:42:49 -0400
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: MEDICAL Conference

I am trying to make this information available on the net. If you feel that
the information is relevant, you could assist me by posting it at your
faclity/website. Or you could provide a link to our homepage:
http://aaron.uoknor.edu/ted/

Thanks!

TED CONFERENCES presents MEDICAL Conference in Charleston, SC October 11 -
14, 1995

TED Conferences and Richard Saul Wurman present:

MEDICAL: An intelligent look at the state of health care communications

There has recently been a lot of confusion about health care. While proper
health care is vital to our survival, the topic has one of the most
political, social, and financial issues of our time.

There has also been tremendous innovation in health care - from virtual
surgery to remote diagnosis, to extraordinary imaging techniques which have
changed the face of medicine and how it is practiced forever.

On October 11 - 14 in Charleston, SC, we have gathered some phenomenal
speakers for conversation about policy, progress, and understanding in health
care communications.

Those of you who know the TED Conferences will easily see how this topic begs
to be explored via the TED format. Those unfamiliar with TED should see
MEDICAL as a 3-day "conversation" which will enlighten and deepen your
understanding about this fundamental issue which touches everyone.

HISTORIC CHARLESTON
MEDICAL will be held in the historic Dock Street Theatre (recently featured
in Time Magazine's article on the Spoleto Festival). Charleston promises to
be a beautiful, balmy venue and we invite registrants to add a few days to
their stay to enjoy all this rich city has to offer. Registrants are
encouraged to stay at the lovely OMNI hotel at Charleston Place. They will be
reserving a room block for MEDICAL with special rates if you reserve early.

FEATURED SPEAKERS
For MEDICAL, we have gathered almost 30 "keynote" speakers:

Bob Arnot; Medical Correspondent, CBS

Horace Deets Director and CEO, AARP: American Association of Retired Persons

James Dickson Senior Advisor to the Dean, Harvard Medical School; Former US
Assistant Surgeon General

Joan Dunlop President, International Women's Health Coalition

Bran Ferren Senior VP, Creative Technology, Walt Disney Imagineering

Laurie Garrett Author, "The Coming Plague", Health and Science Writer,
Newsday

Helmut Giersiefen Doctor, Project Director; Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd.

Roger Gould Clinical Psychiatrist, Interactive Health Center; Developer of
the Therapeutic Learning Program; Former head of neuro-psychiatric outpatient
clinic at UCLA

Stephen Jay Gould Professor, Harvard University; McArthur Fellow; Author:
Bully for Brontosaurus and Ever Since Darwin

William Haseltine Chairman & CEO,  Human Genome Sciences

David Hon President, Ixion, a company which focuses on virtual reality for
endoscopic surgery

Dean Kamen President, DAKA Research & Development Corporation;
Philanthropist; Inventor of leading edge medical instruments

John Kao Senior Lecturer at Harvard Business School; Producer; Psychiatrist;
Entrepreneur in biotechnology and interactive multimedia

C. Everett Koop Doctor; Chairman, Time Life Medical; Former US Surgeon
General

David Macaulay Illustrator, Author: The Amazing Brain and The Way Things Work

J. Ian Morrison President, Institute for the Future; Consultant on health
care topics

Dean Ornish Doctor, President and Director, Preventive Medicine Research
Institute; Author: Program for Reversing Heart Disease

Patricia Phelan President, Direct Medical Knowledge, a research organization
dedicated to providing medical information to consumers

Stanley Pottinger Author: The Fourth Procedure; Former assistant US Attorney
General

Dr. Richard Rockefeller Doctor, President, Health Commons Institute

Col. Richard M. Satava Manager, The Advanced Biomedical Technology Program,
The Defense Sciences Office, The Advanced Sciences Projects Agency

Rick Smolan Photographer, Author: Day in the Life series, The Power to Heal,
Medicine's Great Journey

Victor Spitzer Professor, Colorado University Health Sciences Center;
Researcher, The Visible Human Project, a three-dimensional digital mapping of
the human body

Alexander Tsiaras Medical Journalist; Photographer; Creator of The Anatomical
Travelogue.

William Tsiaras Doctor of Internal Medicine; Chairman, Departmentof
Opthomology, Brown University School of Medicine

Philippe Villers President and Founder, Families USA; Philanthropist; Human
Rights activist; Founder of three high-technology companies

Albert Waxman Chairman and CEO, Medco Behavior Care Corporation

TO REGISTER
Early registration until 31 August 1995:     $ 1,750
Postmarked after 31 August 1995:              $ 2,000

Call Christopher Robin at 401-848-2299 for your registration card or for any
other questions you may have. Chris will be glad to fill out your card over
the phone to hold your place. Remember, payment must be postmarked by 31
August to qualify for early registration.

We look forward to seeing you at MEDICAL.