CRADAs (cooperative research and development agreements)
Today my librarian showed me this great article  from--
SCIENCE NEWS    Vol . 148   July 29,1995   Page 73

Somatix & LBNL estab. a $3.5 Million, 3yr CRADA LAST mAY TO TEST A
possible treatment for PD.
bEFORE GETTING INVOLVED IN THE  crada, sOMATIX RESEARCHERS HAD induced PD
in 25 rhesus monkeys.  They then inserted into the primates' brains
genetically engineered cells that overproduce an enzyme which promotes
the production of dopamine, explains Edward Lanphier of Somatix. The new
cells should boost patients' production of the neurotransmitter.
Last year, after the monkeys got their new  cells, LBNL scientists
monitored the animals' dopamine production with both positron emission
tomography (PET) and singlephoton computed tomography scanning devices.
The treatment looked so promising that the company hopes to start
human trials next year.