Dear Mary Yost:  I wasn't ignoring your message of July 31 - I was on
holiday.  I'm back and ready to strap on the New Project harness and give you
as much information as I have re a UK plan for a PD residential village.

I subscribed to the Parkinson Disease Society of the United Kingdom
newsletter in l991-92 and one of the newsletters had an article discussing
the PDS becoming aware of problems faced by both PD sufferers and carers
living in the community.

I have often worried about people living alone or when carers themselves get
sick or too infirm to take care of someone they love who has PD.  What
happens if the carer dies?  Invariably people are pushed into nursing homes
where hardly anyone knows anything about PD.  Think about the problems with
Sinemet alone.  Before "coming down with PD" I was a nurse with VNA and even
that wonderful caring group doesn't see enough PD  to understand the
relationship between levadopa and diet (protein), stress and exercise, the
on/off phenomenon, dyskinesia, freezing, festination, etc.    Treating PD is
an art.  A medicine juggling act.

So in thinking about these problems the PDS found a lot of evidence to
suggest that an umbrella of care which was very flexible and well integrated
was needed.  The "village" was to have l9 purpose-built flatlets arranged in
clusters of four around the central, social and recreational facilities.

A govenment grant application was successful and the dream began.  The turf
cutting ceremony took place on lst October l992.

I stopped receiving the newsletter at that time so don't know how things are
going.  I "talked" with Anne Rutherford <[log in to unmask]> of the
Newfoundland branch of Parkinson Foundation of Canada about this wonderful
idea and she was about to leave for London and would call PDS whilst there
for information.  I haven't heard from her in this regard.

Simon Coles used to message here until his mum died - she had PD.  Simon's
father was  highly involved with the PDS and could certainly tell us what is
going on.

This idea of a PD village is such a good one we must not let it die on the
vine.  Our own care people might evaporate one day.  Frankly a well set up PD
village might suit a lot of us better than depending solely upon a spouse,
lover, child or other loving care person, or living in a house of stairs and
other hazards.

Many of us are still hale and hearty and some will remain so for a long time,
but "just in case" it probably  is a good idea to have some alternatives to
making it alone - or in a nursing home.

Regards,
Barbara Yacos