Dear Alan Bonander & Charles Meyer:

Many thanks for your answers and your concern.  Unfortunately, or
fortunately, my father is rather frail, almost blind and doesn't
seem to have the strength or the desire to be physically abusive.
As I may have mentioned, he has other health problems in addition
to Parkinsons, such as glaucoma in one eye and a hopefully eradicated
cancerous growth in his other eye for which he recently underwent 6
weeks of radiation.  Also, he has had heart problems since age 39,
when he had a heart attack and had bypass surgery a year or two be-
fore he was diagnosed with PD.

We "children" and especially my mother, never dared to hope he'd live
to be 78.  If he were reading this, he'd say "if you can call this living!"

Not to make light of his behavior problems, it is mostly the mental anguish
that my mother (and we who love him) is feeling at having 'lost' this warm,
 wonderful, loving man full of charm and humor, at least during these
episodes. And in her case, the pain of having him yell at her and act like
she's against him rather than for him.

He does exhibit confusion quite often, too, not knowing who my mother is,
thinking he's somewhere other than home when he's not, not remembering if
he ate breakfast, etc.

WE, the three 'kids', are trying to help mother as much as possible, but
of course, my brother and sister both have full time jobs and families and
live an hour away. I live 5 minutes away but I have two children ages 1 and
3, so I can't do nearly as much as I'd like to to relieve her.

She has tried having people come in to help so she can go out for short
periods, but my father gave her reason to possibly mistrust the most re-
cent aide and although he may have been having hallucinations, she wouldn't
risk his being upset by leaving him with the same person again.

We are trying to find someone to be in their home for some night-time
hours so she can possibly get some uninterrupted sleep and yet not leave
him altogether.

For more information for Alan and Charles and also for anyone else who
might have some input (Camilla Flintermann, I'm preparing an answer to
your reply, but my husband printed it at work and forgot to bring it home)
my mother helps bathe and dress my dad and takes him out every day almost
without fail, just for a change of scenery.  Of course they have lots of
doctor apptments, errands, shopping to attend to, but sometimes she just
takes him to a mall to have a cappucino that he likes and to walk a bit.
He's not up to too much of anything, but she helps him enjoy what he can.

My times up and the children need me so I will not ramble anymore.
Thank you all once again for your interest, help and support.

Betti S. Adams
Eric  M. Adams