Hello everyone,

My name is Larry Zemanek.  I subscribed to this list because my 77 yr old
father has PD.  He was diagnosed about 6 yrs ago.  I wish my family had
become involved with support groups back then.  You see, my father has
progressed to severe dementia and hullicinations, with aggressive/abusive
behavior in the last month.

It has become overwhelming for my mother, myself, and my sister's family.  We
seem to lack the network of support and professionals that can guide us
through this crisis.  We have always been a self-sufficient sort of family
and thought we could weather anything if we stood together.  The last few
weeks have made us doubt that ability.  This list has given us a "virtual
family" to compensate for our lack of a local group.  We find a calming
effect in realizing other people have problems which are similar or perhaps
worse.  There are occasional glimmers of hope in the information which is
shared.

One problem which we have encountered is getting access to a neurologist
during this latest crisis.  We have seen geriatric doctors ( when they are
not on vacation), and they have told us to get immediate attention from a
neurologist.  The neurologists in the Albany, NY region don't have
appointments available until October!  We are very discouraged.

In light of the foregoing, I would like to know if anyone on the list has any
advice or referral for my father's condition.  His only medication is Sinemet
50\200 twice a day. He has developed the hallucinations only in the last
three weeks, with no change in medication.  Is there a relationship between
the Sinemet and the hallucinations?  Is there anything else which can be
taken to lessen the toll which the dimentia is taking on him?  Nightime
episodes are the worst. Our next doctor's appointment is a week away.  We are
desparate.

We appreciate your compassion in this difficult circumstance and welcome any
suggestions you may offer.

Thanks,

Larry Zemanek