From: "amarcotty" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: RE: MESSAGE FOR DAVID
Return-receipt-to: "amarcotty" <[log in to unmask]>

HOPE IS BEAUTIFUL. There is no such thing as "False hope" . Hope is that
vital, human quality that keeps us getting out of bed every day, keeps us
having children, falling in love, making plans, and discovering ourselves.
Expectation is hope with a purpose. Expectation pushes the envelope. If none
of us *expected* cures for PD and other ills, there would be no energy to
make them happen. There would only be resigned acceptance. Perhpas what
Joseph Duggan is talking about is using that vital energy of expectation and
hope to help himself which can only be a good thing. I say BRAVO to him.
To: Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN

While I am sure Joseph Duggan's emphasis on self discovery and taking
responsibility for one's illness is well meaning, I think there are definite
dangers in buying into this philosophy.  Those who can't discover the way in
 which to cure themselves could fall into despair, self blame and further
depression.  Not everyone has the time and money to explore all the possible
 alternate philosophies.  The implication seems to be that illness must stem
from some weaknesses in the will or character of the person afflicted.  I
am very much in favor of self discovery, positive thinking, and humor as ways
to deal with illlness, but I think that expecting a cure will  just lead
to disappointment.