  >While I am sure Joseph Duggan's emphasis on self discovery
  >and taking responsibility for one's illness is well meaning, I
  >think there are definite dangers in buying into this philosophy.
  >Those who can't discover the way in which to cure themselves could
  >fall into despair, self blame and further depression.  Not everyone
  >has the time and money to explore all the possible alternate
  >philosophies.

Thank you Mary. :-) I couldn't have said it better. (As a matter of fact
I *nearly* said it worse but I was afraid it might sound like a flame.)

  >The implication seems to be that illness must stem from some
  >weaknesses in the will or character of the person afflicted.

I also read that 'implication' in and would like to let Mr. Duggan know
that I've recently struck up a friendship with David by email and by
telephone and I find him as strong of will and of character as anyone
I've ever met (and *then* some.)

 >I am very much in favor of self discovery, positive thinking, and
 >humor as ways to deal with illlness, but I think

As for 'humour', anyone who can joke about the "Kinesia brothers"
(Dys and Brady) and sign an 'Open Letter to God' , "Shaking and baking
in Northern California"  doesn't *need* to spend a lot of time and money
exploring all the alternate philosophies. He can teach his own to others

Thank you again Mary for helping me put my .02cents worth in. :-)

Helen Spence