Hello to a fascinating very large group of wonderful people.

Was I glad to have found you.  For the past few weeks I have been reading
your messages, even dug up a couple archives to learn more about you.  What I
found was very good; from the day Barbara welcomed me till now: very nice
people with interesting if sometimes quite different opinions, very well
informed, diverse in background and experience.  In short, just what I needed
since I had temporarily rejected the "face-to-face" support group - feering
they might somehow add to my anger, denial, and depression. This is probably
not true, but I didn't want to risk it.  The "List" messages are changng my
mind.

PD snuck up on me while I thought I was "just" getting old. Several years ago
my legs started "twitching" or "jerking" periodically when I was sleeping or
trying to get to sleep. Glenyth (my wife of 45  years-(I'm 68/she's 63) began
complaining that I was kicking her and should see a doctor.  Of course I
didn't.

Next, I noticed having more difficulty brushing my teeth, writing, and other
tasks that use my hands.  So I rushed out and purchased one of those nifty
electric toothbrushes and pretended I was a Dr. or I wrote slower thus
allowing myself to forget about it all.  Almost.  Last year the jerks made me
get up at night and move around until they stopped.

Finally I asked my  favorite cardiologist (I had a heart attack in '78 and
bypass surgery in '79 and '89)  if he could find out why I  was having the
muscle weakness and twitching.  He had me do a few simple tasks with my
hands, tested my blood enzymes and then recommended that I see a neurologist.

Recently, before my diagnosis, we discovered that her aunt had Parkinson
Desease and we learned a little.  I was not prepared to find out  I had PD.
So much so that I got a second opinion from a more experienced Dr. at a
University - head of the Dept. etc.  Although I have read pamphlets and a
book, I am learning a great deal from your comments  which have generated
many many questions-too many to ask now.

Thanks to everyone who has subscribed,    Fred Turner