Milo and Philip,

I have looked into the issue of sexuality and Parkinson's because of my own
intermittant problems.  There is not much  published about it.  My reading
points to some of the problem as resulting from the instability of the
autonomic nervous system that many of us have with PD. The physiology of
sexual response is not well understood but change in symathetic and
parasympathetic balance can clearly screw things up (no pun intended).

We take multiple medications- which is usually the first thing a physician
considers in the evaluation of sexual dysfunction but interestingly l-dopa
and dopamine agonists seem to rarely be associated with sexual dysfunction
and in fact at times are the cause of hypersexuality or at least greatly
increased libido with or without improvement of actual function. Some
medications can cause sexual dysfunction (such as blood preesure
medications,  and other non PD medications) and the problem of absent or
delayed orgasm in both sexes and failure to ejaculate in males is a common
problem with the SSRI antidepressants such as Prozac, Paxil and Zoloft which
many of us take.  Other antidepressants are also at times associated with
sexual dysfunction of various kinds but at a lower frequency.

I am interested in knowing what sexual difficulties PD patients are having.
I suspect that the lack of data  has to do with the crazy notion that older
people are not supposed to be sexual and since PD is supposed to be a
disease of the elderly why research it?  Also many of us are embarassed to
bring the subject up with our doctors and most physicians are notoriously
bad at dealing with sexual issues.

At the same time as important as the issue may be to many of us,  it is not
something likely to get a large response on the list. How many of us are
willing to share our most personal feelings of failure or inadequacy with an
"intimate group" of at least 850 strangers-  I'm not.

Barb Patterson and others-  Is there  a way to post to the list
annonomously?  I would be willing to develop a survey if there was
significant interest in getting data on the subject.  Obviously it would not
be statisically valid but might give some general indication of the scope of
the problem that some graduate student somewhere might pick up as a research
project and if as I suspect the problem is widespread it might senitize our
physicians to the issue- if it is indeed significant.
The only way that most of us would be willing to be honest would be if the
answers were not identifiable to others who migt read the list.  Does
anybody have any idea how we could do this maintaining annonimity?

Charlie

PS - As you can see- I'm back after a great trip.  Thanks to all who wished
me well and gave advice.  Probably over the weekend I'll try to put together
some of the problems and the way my wife and I coped- to post on the list
for others traveling long distances.
 Charles T. Meyer
 Madison, WI