Thanks to everyone who responded to my request regarding pallidotomy. My mother
had her operation July end at the Hospital for Joint Diseases in NYU NY. She is
currently 55 years old and has had PD for 11 years .  she had a lot of
stiffness, slowness of movement, on/off and dyskenesia but virtually no
tremors. She was estimated to be 30% worse on the right side than the left and
went in for a left Pallidotomy with Dr. Kelly. Dr. Fazzini was our neurosurgeon
who evaluated her for the procedure.

It is now 2 weeks since the operation and she has had dramatic improvement so
far. While she could not walk more than 10 feet except with great difficulty
and with assistance even while on medication prior to the procedure, she  could
get up easily and walk with no assistance and could turn by herself after the
operation. We wandered around malls together 4 days after the operation,
something that would have been impossible before.  She has no dyskenesia on the
right side 50% improvement in stiffness/slowness of movement on the right side
(and 25% on the left) and no sweating.  The most dramatic improvement is in her
on/off state.  While before she could not even get up in her off state, now she
was wandering in the mall in what would have been her off state (It was like a
miracle!).   She still has dyskenesia on her left side (but we were told that
that would be the case).

A word on the hospital and all the attending doctors.  They were all completely
wonderful and made the whole experience easy for us.  The staff at the hospital
(particularly the nurses) were just incredibly nice and attentive. Both Dr.
Kelly and Dr. Fazzini were wonderful and extremely genorous with their time to
answer questions.

The recovery time is really quick, my mother left the hospital in two days and
has left for India a week after the operation.

If anyone has any questions I would be happy to help in any way I can.

Cheers

Ram