A new book on melatonin is out, here is the press release.

MARINA DEL REY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug. 4, 1995--More than 40
million Americans suffer from insomnia, and until recently their only
choice was to pop prescription sleepingpills or risk another restless night
of tossing and turning. What if there were a natural supplement that,in
addition to providing a deep sleep, would be safe?

According to Ray Sahelian, M.D., author of "Melatonin: Nature's Sleeping
Pill," that possibility now exists. Since 1993, melatonin has been available
without a prescription.

Melatonin is a chemical that the pineal gland, a pea-sized gland located
in the brain, produces each night to help us sleep. Children produce a
large amount, while the elderly produce little. Melatonin levels decrease
with aging, and this may explain why insomnia in the elderly is common.

Much laboratory research is available on melatonin, but few clinical
studies have been done. Recently, Sahelian, a family physician from Marina
del Rey, conducted surveys of 200 melatoninusers nationwide and found that
four out of five consider melatonin to be beneficial in maintaining deep
sleep.

"The most common unexpected effect that I discovered was enhanced dreams,"
reported Sahelian. "About two-thirds of users noted dreams to be vivid,
pleasant and almost real. Ten percent of theseindividuals reported having
had a nightmare. Melatonin may be our `Dream Molecule.'

"Based on my clinical observations, surveys and review of scientific
literature, there is convincing evidence to support the occasional use of
melatonin for insomnia and jet lag," Sahelian said. "It's an excellent
alternative to prescription sleeping pills."

Throughout "Melatonin: Nature's Sleeping Pill," Sahelian carefully
examines the latest research reporting the merits, uncertainties and
shortcomings of melatonin. He includes case histories, gives a comprehensive
explanation of how we sleep and provides 20 useful tips for sound sleep. The
book also includes a discussion of melatonin's possible role as an anti-aging
hormone.

(Be Happier Press, P.O. Box 12619, Marina del Rey, Calif. 90295, $13.95 plus
 $3.50 shipping.
Also available from all bookstores nationwide or by calling 800/507-BOOK.)

Sahelian is a graduate of Thomas Jefferson Medical School in Philadelphia,
and is certified by the American Board of Family Practice. He has been
interviewed by hundreds of radio stations andrecently on TV's "A Current
Affair," and has been quoted in Newsweek.

John Cottingham                     "KNOWLEDGE is of two kinds: we know
[log in to unmask]                      a subject, or we know where we can
OR                                   find information upon it."
[log in to unmask]            Dr. Samuel Johnson