> I am a 48-year-old female diagnosed with PD 3 years ago.
>
> Still working full time as a high school English teacher and English Dept.
> Chair, but not too sure how long this can continue.  Energy demands are
> expended before the end of the work day.  Would be interested in disability
> information.
>
> Medications:  Sinemet:  25/100:  1/2 tablet once a day
>                      Eldepryl:    5 mg once a day
>
> Looking forward to your replies.

Dear Nancy,

When I read your message, I thought it could almost be me writing it as I am
also a 48 year old with PD still trying to cope as a teacher-librarian and
wondering how much longer I can push myself to continue. I take nine tablets a
day--3 Sinemet, 2 Eldepryl, 1 Amantadine and 3 Parlodel and sometimes find I
really am not keeping on top of things either because of the medication, the PD
or both; teaching these days is not the sort of job that caters to periods of
fatigue during the day or fuzzy, confused thining.

I have just talked to someone in my teacher's union about early retirement due
to disability, and at least here in Victoria (Australia), there shouldn't be a
problem in getting superannuation (pension) for a degenerative disease as PD as
long as your neurologist is informed about the "proper" letter to write to the
superannuation board.

I have mixed feelings about leaving teaching as it has been such a dominant,
important part of my life for over 20 years, but I would like a different focus
for my life.  Presently, I publish the newsletter for the Victorian PD Assoc.
and am a member of the Management Comm, but I'd like to get more involved in
raising the profile of PD in Australia.

Hope to hear from you and good luck with your retirement efforts.

Celia Jones