Dear Betti,
       For dementia,  I have received the most help from a Caregivers
Conference for Patients with Alzheimers and Related Dementias.  I think
Parkinson's with dementia is particularly difficult.  They can't move easily,
 but because their mind is not working right they make choices that make it
even more difficult to get ordinary personal tasks done.
       These were some of the helpful suggestions:
        *You* adapt;  he is not able.
          Be very creative
          Distract-redirect
          Don't argue
          Be calm
          Respond to the emotion if the words or actions don't
                  make sense
          Choose your battles - Safety is important
          Avoid treating like a child.

          I have broken all of these rules,  but things work better when I
pay attention to them.    I use a critical "parent" tone of voice because
that is the way I naturally respond to unreasonable behavior.   I'm sorry
afterwards when I realize what I have done,  but it is hard to change habits.

          You may e-mail questions to my address if you wish.
Jan Kramar<[log in to unmask]>