Fred,

I'm not suprised that your neurologist doesn't think that exercise can
be beneficial for PD. However, some neurologists do think that it is
the "single most beneficial element" To quote Barry Baumel, M.D., and
Larry S. Elsner, M.D. Co-Medical Directors, American Parkinson Disease
Association, South Florida..."If any single factor within a patients
control has an important effect on the *progression* (!!!!!) of
neurological disease, it is the performance of exercise on a regular
basis." (APDA Newsletter, Number 35, "The Parkinson's Source").

But many medical doctors do not understand the benefits of exercise
because that is not their area of expertise! To be fair to the
neurologists, I must add that the type and amount of exercise which
can be beneficial to PD is still a mateter of speculation. (But I'm
working on that one and so are other graduate students around the
world).

Don't give up...Keep pumping your legs and pumping iron and JUST DO IT!

Mark Hirsch