I had some similar experiences, having been forced to retire from college
teaching in 1988, at age 57, because of Parkinsons, clinical depression,
chronic fatigue syndrome, and severe lower back pain.  It's a deadly mixture!

First, establish a relationship with a first class psychiatrist, preferably
one who is also a pharmacologist.  Mine tried various mood elevators, and we
finallly settled on Prozac with good results.  there are several other
elevators and you have to try one after another until you find one whose side
effects you can live with.

Sinemet is apparently the most popular Parkinson drug, often along with
Arthane, Parodel, and some tranquilizer.  If you  respond to Sinemet, you
 have Parkinsons, my doctor at the National Parkinson Foundatiion (Miami)
says.

Be careful of Welbutrin.  The Physician's Desk Reference warns that it should
be used only with caution with L-dopa (Sinemet).

Equally important is emotional support. I moved to Florida to be near one of
my children, and all my friends and family rallied round.  Support groups are
incredibly worthwhile. Talk out your problems with your psychiatrist and your
close ones.  It took me five years, and I'lllll never teach again, but have
found other outlets, such as studying some aspects of musical history just
for fun.

Hang in there.  You'll have plenty of ups and downs,, but there's a lot left
to life.

Bob Bishop