Larry,

You might get more response if you ask your father's primary care physician
or geriatrician to make the referral directly that is for them to contact
the neurologist and explain the urgency.  Physicians will often bend their
schedules for a patient that a collegue defines as urgent knowing that there
has been some previous evaluation indicating the urgency, that they may need
the referring MD for an urgent patient some day and last but certainly not
least specialty practices survive on referrals and it is very hard to say no
to a referral source who just might find another neurologist to refer
his/her patients to that is more helpful in times of crisis.

You might also contact the Medical School at Albany or search out a
psychiatrist with expertice in PD or geriatrics.

Good luck,

Charlie

>Hello everyone,
>
>My name is Larry Zemanek.  I subscribed to this list because my 77 yr old
>father has PD.  He was diagnosed about 6 yrs ago.  I wish my family had
>become involved with support groups back then.  You see, my father has
>progressed to severe dementia and hullicinations, with aggressive/abusive
>behavior in the last month.
>
>It has become overwhelming for my mother, myself, and my sister's family.  We
>seem to lack the network of support and professionals that can guide us
>through this crisis.  We have always been a self-sufficient sort of family
>and thought we could weather anything if we stood together.  The last few
>weeks have made us doubt that ability.  This list has given us a "virtual
>family" to compensate for our lack of a local group.  We find a calming
>effect in realizing other people have problems which are similar or perhaps
>worse.  There are occasional glimmers of hope in the information which is
>shared.
>
>One problem which we have encountered is getting access to a neurologist
>during this latest crisis.  We have seen geriatric doctors ( when they are
>not on vacation), and they have told us to get immediate attention from a
>neurologist.  The neurologists in the Albany, NY region don't have
>appointments available until October!  We are very discouraged.
>
>In light of the foregoing, I would like to know if anyone on the list has any
>advice or referral for my father's condition.  His only medication is Sinemet
>50\200 twice a day. He has developed the hallucinations only in the last
>three weeks, with no change in medication.  Is there a relationship between
>the Sinemet and the hallucinations?  Is there anything else which can be
>taken to lessen the toll which the dimentia is taking on him?  Nightime
>episodes are the worst. Our next doctor's appointment is a week away.  We are
>desparate.
>
>We appreciate your compassion in this difficult circumstance and welcome any
>suggestions you may offer.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Larry Zemanek

 Charles T. Meyer