In an article entitled "Management of Individuals with
Parkinson's Disease" (Physical Therapy, vol.69 # 11, 944-954)
published way back in November, 1989, the authors deal with the
positive effects of exercise on PD'ers.  The main thesis of the
article is that early intervention and a specific program
designed by a physical therapist will minimize and delay the
musculoskeletal limitations and deformity of PD.  Physical
therapists can evaluate patients and design exercises for
specific impairments.

Perhaps of some interest to those on the List who have recently
been discussing Feldenkrais is the article's emphasis on using
relaxation techniques and relaxation exercises (not described) in
reducing rigidity. "Relaxation is used first to reduce rigidity
and to increase flexibility. From a kinesiological perspective,
it is equally important to relax the axial muscalature and the
limb musculature.  From our clinical experience, we suggest the
use of slow, rhythmic rotational motions, beginning with very
small ROMs, as an effective means of achieving relaxation,
particulalrly of the axial musculature.  This approach is based
on the concepts of Feldenkrais.  ... it appears that most normal
movement requires rotation throughout the spine.  Thus, when
performing relaxation techniques, it is important to
differentiate between segements of the body so that all segements
are individually relaxed ... .  The exercise techniques proposed
by Feldenkrais are specifically designed to relax specific
segements of the spine."

From what this article says and in concurrence with what has been
frequently written here on the List exercise is important!  We
PD'ers can EXERCISE some control over our disease whether we use
Tai Chi, Feldenkrais, tread-milling, muscle stretching or
whatever.

          |  Sid Roberts              [log in to unmask]    |
          |  Youngstown State         History Department     |
          |  University               Youngstown, OH 44555   |