Dear Nancy and Celia,

After a heart attack and by-pass surgery I decided to retire at 55. I was
English Dept. Chair and teaching Gifted 8th and Honors Eng.12th - the best
year of my life.   What a fool I was. I had had a second by-pass surgery and
last year PD.  The last few years of teaching I usually became weak and tired
by afternoon - barely able to keep up with my honors class.  Probably it was
related to PD, but I didn't know it.  I never should have quit so soon
without even investigating disability.   Now I get about 1000 instead of 3000
and am my wife's health insurance dependent.

When you are ready, get all of the information about disability retirement
and file for it FIRST.  Do NOT apply for regular retirement until all of the
paper work, appeals or anything else relating to your case has been clearly
settled.  If you were NOT successful, hang on as long as you can before you
submit your request AGAIN.   You can't imagine the regular allowance you will
receive at age 48.  I  taught 26 years and was 55.  Get help from your Union
and the system itself.  Set up conferences, etc. but BEWARE.  Do not sign
anything until you are absolutely sure what you are in for.  Of course if you
are wealthy, go sailing.

Timing is everything.  This year the state's retirement system joined with
other government employee groups to offer a very good sounding Long Term Care
Insurance Program.   One of the reasons for possibly excluding  a member of
the system is PD.   I was diagnosed last Oct. and received this announcement
this June.  I don't need help for any daily living activities.  It will be
interesting what they decide in my case.  I will apply and appeal if
necessary.

Sounds like our symptons and medications  are very similar.  I take 3 Sinemet
CR (25/100), 2 Eldepryl (5 mg each), and 3 Permax (only .375 total)-causes
light headedness, low blood pressure "orthostatic hypertension" {with all of
my experience, I can't spell!).  But two major factors that distinguish us
are age and sex.  I hope we all have success coping with PD.  Fortunately my
wife, Glenyth - a Professor at a community college working with Learning
Disable Students -  is as they say "disgustingly healthy".  Never even gets a
cold.  Never takes sick leave (one of those !).   48?  I can't even begin to
imagine what that must be like, 20 years ago with PD.

With deep regard and best wishes to you both,

Fred