     Rita Weeks,

I would like to add to your information about a beta blocker and its
effect on Parkinson's disease.

Shortly after I showed symptoms and was diagnosed as having Parkinson's
disease, I visited my ophthalmologist. I have had high pressures in my
eyes for many years. It had reached the point that I was diagnosed as
having glaucoma. At the time I was using Betagan drops in my eyes twice
a day.

The ophthalmologist remarked on my gait as I entered his office, and I
informed him that I had just been diagnosed as having Parkinson's
disease. He said immediately that I must stop taking the Betagan drops
--- it is a beta blocker.

I did stop taking the drops. By the end of the next day there had been a
dramatic reduction in my Parkinson's symptoms --- I would say that my
symptoms were reduced about 90%. It was amazing that a single tiny drop
in each eye twice a day could make such a difference.

My ophthalmologist's mother-in-law has Parkinson's disease. That is why
he recognized my symptoms when I walked into his office. He had seen me
only once before --- my former ophthalmologist had only just retired.

So why are the effects of beta blockers on Parkinson's disease not more
widely recognized?

The FDA encourages the doctor and the patient to report such side
effects. My neurologist was not interested in reporting my experience.
Perhaps it was because she had not observed the effects personally. She
did give me a form to fill out to report my experience to the FDA. I
filled out the form --- a typical governmental bureaucratic form --- and
mailed it in. I received a nice letter that informed me that my report
did not constitute the basis for a law suit. It also enclosed an
identical copy of the form that I had already submitted. It requested
that I fill out the form and return it.

I said some things to my wife, more or less amounting to the hell with
it!

She felt duty-bound to clear up this matter. She filled out the form all
over again and mailed it in.

Now brace yourself --- the next thing was that I received another very
nice letter, a very similar letter to the first one, which told me that
my report did not constitute the basis for a law suit. It also enclosed
an identical copy of the form that I had already submitted twice. It
requested that I fill out the form and return it.

This prompted me to compose a rather strong letter back to the FDA. I
related the events to date, and, to the best of my recollection, I think
that I advised them on what best to do with their form. I informed them
also that I did not desire to be their pen pal for the rest of my life.

Three neurologists and one neuro-ophthalmologist have told me that they
had never heard of such a side effect from Betagan.  I really don't know
how my ophthalmologist was aware of the potential.

Perhaps the reason that the effects of beta blockers on Parkinson's
disease are not more widely disseminated is that the FDA pays no
attention to the reports that it receives!

From: [log in to unmask]

 * SLMR 2.1a * McLean Virginia USA  Sat 08-05-95 7:15 pm
---
 * KMail 3.00y