>it is funny how doctors can speak with
>such authority  on a subject  and take
>the exact opposite side of a question..
>
>my doctor says breaking a sinemet in
>half just reduces the amount of medication
>by 1/2 spread out over the same amount
>of time.
>
>who's right....who's to know....keep up the good work

Everyone,

The info below should resolve the question.  It is  from the
Carbidopa-Levo-DOPA entry under DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION in the GEN-RX
database of Physicians on Line.

Sinemet CR
Sinemet CR contains carbidopa and levodopa in a 1:4 ratio as either the
50-200 tablet or the 25-100 tablet. The daily dosage of Sinemet CR must be
determined by careful titration. Patients should be monitored closely during
the dose adjustment period, particularly with regard to appearance or
worsening of involuntary movements, dyskinesias or nausea. Sinemet CR 50-200
may be administered as whole or as half-tablets which should not be chewed
or crushed. Sinemet CR 25-100 may be used in combination with Sinemet CR
50-200 to titrate to the optimum dosage, or as an alternative to the 50-200
half-tablet.

Your doctors apparerant confusion may come the don't crush or more likely
from his experience with some other slow release preparations -  for
instance Ritalin-SR which use the membrane covering the pill to control the
delivery of the drug into the gut.

Doctors are only human even when patients often expect more than that.  I
think your doctor was misinformed.
I would  diplomatically tell him the data I have.  If you give him the
reference and information in the way you would want to hear it from a
patient and you don't like the way he responds you might consider how he
might act when the going gets tough and around issues that do not have a
black or white answer that can be found in a book.

Over my 20+ years in the practice of psychiatry I have learned alot from my
patients-  I try to admit when I have made an error which hopefully doesn't
happen often but it does happen- and I thank them for the new information if
I check and find out they were right.

Good luck,

Charlie

 Charles T. Meyer