>I believe that every patient should have and  use a Physician's
>Desk Reference constantly, especially when the field is changing so rapidly
>as PD.  Not even a neurologist can be 100 % up to date.

I basically think that you are right insofar a patients should have access
to all information that they want and feel they can assimilate.  You can
usually get the PDR info from your pharmacist since it is contained in the
package insert which comes with every bottle.  I always give my patients a
basic  information sheet when I prescribe a new medication and if I have it
available and they request it a copy of the package insert.

A Caveat however-   THE PACKAGE INSERT IS NOT THE DEFINATIVE INFORMATION ON
A PARTICULAR DRUG!  It is what the FDA and the manufacturer have agreed be
published.  There are indications for the use of medications that are not
FDA approved but are well-documented in the literature.  It is permissible
for a physician to prescribe it  for those indications as long as he's
prepared to back up the use and show that it is reasonable practice.  There
are a lot of political and economic reasons why some indications are not
sought such as the cost of preparing the data for the FDA or the fact that a
patent is nearing its end and there isn't economic incentive to add a new
indication.

Conversely,  drug companies sometimes put precautions into the PDR as "cover
your ass" statements.  If something happens they have done their legal duty
and it is between the patient and their doctors( and sometimes their
lawyers).  Virtually any untoward event that has occurred during the testing
of a drug or has been reported post-marketing that cannot clearly be
explained by another cause is listed as a possible side effect.  Do not
assume that any problem that occurs while you are taking a medication is
caused by the med because its listed in the PDR.  But be sure to tell your
MD anything you think might be related.

If you check the literature and find something that appears to be a problem
be sure to bring it to your doctor's attention as a question but do not
assume that because you read something in the PDR he/she is wrong.  However
if the doctor is not willing to consider your concern and discuss it with
you then it is time to reconsider your relationship.

There are no such things as dumb questions or concerns.  But remember most
of the time your physician knows more about the condition he/she is treating
or the drug he is prescribing than you do.  ASK ALL THE QUESTIONS YOU NEED
TO BUT LISTEN TO THE ANSWERS.

CHARLIE
 Charles T. Meyer
 Madison, WI