Hi,

BBC1 (in the UK), Tues 22nd August at 10pm, the series "QED" will cover
Pallidotomoy.

To quote from the BBC information:

       "Fred Amphlett is a prisoner within his own body - at only 48
        he is a victim of Parkinson's Disease. In 'A hole in Fred's head'
        on Tues. Aug. 22, 'QED' follows remarkable brain surgery, carried
        out while Fred is conscious, in a bid to make his master of his
        limbs again.

        [general stuff about PD deleted]

       "Fred believed that medcine had nothing left to offer him but,
        over the last few months, brain surgeons at the Frenchay Hospital
        in Bristol have been pioneering a new form of treatment. It
        involves operating deep inside the brain whilst he is still awake.
        The risks are great, but for Fred they are worth taking.

                'If you were about to fall over a cliff and
                 there was a hand out to rescue you, would you
                 let the hand go or grab it?' says Fred. 'That's
                 the way I look at it. I think I'd grab the hand'.

        [more stuff deleted about the program, Pallidotomy in general]

I guess us Brits will watch with interest :-)

Simon

 Simon J. Coles               |  "Far better it is to dare mighty things,
                              |  to win glorious triumphs, even though
                              |  checkered by failure, than to take rank
 EMail:                       |  with those poor spirits who neither enjoy
 [log in to unmask]   |  much nor suffer much, because they live
                              |  in the gray twilight that knows not victory
 Tel. (Home) +44 1932 220073  |  or defeat."
 Tel. (Work) +44 1344 778783  |              -Teddy Roosevelt