Hi Don, Barbara, and Helen:

When first diagnosed as PD my Doc put me on Sinemet CR(25/100). I still had
Jumpy or twitching legs (usually one side or the other) that followed some
sort of pattern-like every 20 seconds and "gradually reducing". One
neurologist used the term Restless Leg Syndrome and showed me some stretching
exercises I could use when I was up walking in the middle of the night.

Next I was put on Eldepryl.  No change was remarkable.

One month ago I began taking Permax (pergolide mesylate) which Athena
Neurosciences, Inc. says on its insert: "...is an ergot derivative dopamine
receptor agonist at both D1 and D2 receptor sites."

 I am only up to .375mg a day, but the interesting change is that my jumpy
legs have stopped at night - have been without this problem for days now and
I am sleeping better.  Still drowsy during the day.

I have read enough messages on the List to realize that I should not assume
the change is due to Permax.  Probably much more complicated than that.
 However that is the only change in medication I have made.  I am now
discontinuing the evening extra 1/2 Sinemet my Doc recommended to help me
sleep.

Insert says, "Pergolide mesylate inhibits the secretion of prolactin in
humans; it causes a transient rise in serum concentrations of growth hormone
and a decrease in serum concentrations of luteinizing hormone. In Parkinson's
disease, pergolide mesylate is believed to exert its therapeutic effect by
directly stimulating postsynaptic receptors in the nigrostriatal system."

Do you suppose that by stimulating my postsynaptic receptors in my infamous
nigrostriatal system Permax could really eliminate my twitching?

Fred