There have been many discussions on the benefits of exercise and several
references to Tai Chi.  I would like to clarify some points about Tai Chi.  My
wife (who has PD) and I have been doing Tai Chi for 4 years now.  The
description given by Mr. Sid Roberts in response to a message from H. Spence is
not quite right.  First of all there are many forms of Tai Chi - the form we
have been involved with is Taoist Tai Chi in which there are 108 moves in the
 set .  However, there are many moves that are repeated in the set and hence
there are less than 50 individual  moves .  Within 4-6 months of attending
classes (say 1-2 times per week) anyone can be doing the complete set.  From
then on, Tai Chi becomes a progression of improving on form and thereby
progressively increasing the individual s benefits from doing Tai Chi.  That is,
the better the form, the greater the benefits. Tai Chi uses slow, graceful
movements and this results in reduced tension, improved circulation, increased
strength, and flexibility.  Although it may appear slow, you actually get quite
a workout from doing the  set .

My wife (who has PD) finds that she feels less  achy  after doing Tai Chi.  She
notices this particularly when for whatever reason she has missed a session or
two of Tai Chi. She finds she has more energy as well.  We have a friend with PD
for whom Tai Chi has changed her life dramatically.  She had difficulty with
taking medications and therefore before starting Tai Chi she had great
difficulty getting around.  She now has been able to reduce her medication to an
extremely low level and has been a Tai Chi instructor for several years now.
This is not to say that everyone taking Tai Chi will have such dramatic success
with PD, but at least for her it has been extremely beneficial.

For those for whom PD or any other disease has progressed to the point where
even normal Tai Chi is too difficult, the Taoist Tai Chi Society has  special
needs  classes.  They have developed a form of the set which can be done while
sitting in a chair.  For  special needs  members, there are no charges except a
nominal fee for joining and no monthly or other fees.

The main point I want to make is that Tai Chi is not hard to learn.  However, I
would strongly recommend that those wanting to try it do so from the formal
organizations such as the Taoist Tai Chi Society. While you can get a feel for
it from video-tapes, you cannot get the critical coaching that is necessary to
get the full benefits from Tai Chi.  As Mr. Spence also points out, there are
some organizations that teach more of the martial arts forms of Tai Chi - others
like the Taoist Tai Chi Society concentrate on the  health  aspects.

Having said all this, it may still be that Tai Chi is not for you.  That s fine
- the main thing however is to exercise.  Exercise any way you can, but keep
exercising - any doctor will tell you how critical for Parkinsonians this is.

I hope this has helped to clarify the Tai Chi  story   somewhat.  For those who
are interested here are the locations of the Taoist Tai Chi Society head offices
worldwide.  You can look up in the phonebook for the local office or check with
these listed below.

Canada:
Taoist Tai Chi Society of Canada
1376 Bathurst Street
Toronto, Ontario, M5R 3J1
Phone: (416) 656-2110
Fax: (416) 654-3937

U.S.A.:
Taoist Tai Chi Society of U.S.A.
49 W. 11th Avenue
Denver, Colorada, 80204
Phone: (303) 623-5163
Fax: (303) 623-7908

EUROPE:
Taoist Tai Chi Society - European Federation
Temple Villa, 12 Chipping Hill
Witham, Essex
England CM8 2D3
Phone: (44) 376-513-513