--=====================_808852233==_

Hello Friends,

The continuing story of thalamic Stimulation. I typed this from a brochure
from the company Medtronic called : "Thalamic Stimulation System, Therapy
Reference Guide"

This is a test. I've attached two files: figure 1 and a piece of text, both
scanned with my hand-scanner. I didn't use Binhex but tried "MIME". I hope
it will work out very well, please let me know.

Kees Paap

**********************
The first attempt was interrupted by me, because the file with the figure
was too big.
So no figure, just the text.
Kees Paap

--=====================_808852233==_

Patient Selection
Indications: Electrical stimulation of the ventral intermediate (VIM) nucleus of
 the
thalamus using the Medtronic thalamic stimulation system is indicated as a
 therapy for
patients with disabling tremor who are not suitable candidates for drug therapy
 or whose.
tremor has not been adequately controlled by drug therapy. Tremor suppression
 must be
demonstrated during test stimulatiun, generally as a first step in the system

Contraindications: Implantation of the Medtronic thalamic stimulation system is
contraindicated for patients in whom surgery or aneasthesia are contraindicated.

Thalamic stimulation is contraindicated for patients with a cardiac demand
 pacemaker or
an implantable defibrillator or for those patients who will undergo magnetic
 resonance
imaging ( MRI ) .

Thalamic stimulation is contraindicated if the patient's tremor is not
 suppressed during
stimulation testing.

Thatamic stimulation is contraindicated for patients who are unable to use the
 control
magnet or who do not have reliable help to operate the control magnet.

Stimu1ation test: To select patients for thalamic stimulation, a test
 stimulation is
recommended. A test electrode is stereotactically placed to determine if
 stimulation will
suppress the tremor. lf the tremor is suppressed, the Model 3387 lead is
 implanted. The
physician then has the option of either implanting the IPG immediately after the
 lead is
implanted or using the Model 3625 Screener for a trial period before implanting
 the IPG.

Precautions for patients selection:

*    The patient must be informed and accept that thalamic stimulation may not
 always
     eliminate or even reduce tremor. Patients should understand the therapy,
 including
     risks and benefits, hardware, implant techniques, and follow-up schedule.
*    The patient's physical condition must allow surgical interventions for
 implant,
     known risks of thalamic stimulation, and battery replacements.
*    Patients who have had a thalamotomy or show clinically significant damage
 to the
     thalamus on the side to be are stimulated may not be good candidates for
 thalamic
     stimulation.