On Fri, 18 Aug 1995 23:13:24 John Cottingham <[log in to unmask]> opined:

>In article  GABRIEL ZWIERSKI <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>>If you are a Veteran, you are entitled to care at a VA medical facility
>>whether service-connected or not.  It is no cost to you if you make less
>>than $16,000 and have no  health insurance (my case).

>Non service connect vets like myself are eligible only for general surgery
>and life-threating emergency care.

It depends on what category you are. As Gabriel states, a non-service
connected vet who earns less than $16,000 per year is classified as
Category A, which means they are eligible for all services provided by
the VA medical facility and all they pay is the Rx co-payment. Service
connected vets are automatically Category A regardless of earned income.
When you apply to a VA medical facility they are supposed to let you
know what category you are. It sounds as though you are Category D.

>>Also, most VA hospitals have excellent (if understaffed) neurological
>>departments (think of head wounds).

>The neurology and dermatology clinics are only available to service
>connected.

The only time this would be true is if the facility could only handle
Category A patients, due either to a shortage of personnel or an over-
whelming number of patients. By the way, this should be less of a
problem in the future since the trend is to co-locate all new VA medical
facilities with a teaching hospital. Also, a lot of people still have the
mental image of a run-down, decrepit facility whenever you mention a
VA hospital, but the new ones are state-of-the-art and are better than
most civilian hospitals. The Baltimore VA Medical Center, co-located with
the University of Maryland Medical School, is a prime example.

What Gabriel said about eligibility is true. I do not have a service
connected disability (my PD was diagnosed too late to qualify), but I am
Category A because my earned income is less than $16,000 per year. I also
spent a year under the care of a VA neurologist until I became eligible
for neurological treatment at Johns Hopkins.

In a way, I am approaching the system from both ends. For a couple of
years I worked as a systems analyst on the computer system used for the
VA's GRECC project (which studies the relationship between lifestyle and
medical problems in the elderly) and I am currently using University of
Maryland Medical School/VA computerized medical records for my dissertation
research on developing statistical models of patients to aid in diagnoses
and treatment.

Bruce

Bruce G. Warr               "Experience is what enables us to recognize
Healthcare Informatics Lab   a mistake the next time we make it."
Information Systems Dept.
University of Maryland Baltimore County

http://umbc.edu/~warr/
(V) (410)455-3206