Dear Friends:

Thought I should update you on what's happening with my father's dementia/
paranoia.  I took the good advice and sought counseling,using my
husband's EAP (Employee Assistance Program) as my mother didn't feel it
would help her personally.  Unfortunately even though the counselor was
someone I had seen in the past for other problems, I guess my expectations
were unrealistic.  I didn't learn anything new and he sympathetically told
me I could only do so much, etc.  I did, however,realize it was time to
step in a bit more boldly and I had a conversation with dad's neurologist.

The neuro had been away for several weeks and my folks were awaiting his
return to possibly readjust dad's meds.  Before their apptment I spoke to
a nurse in his office to document exactly what kind of confusion/paranoia/
dementia he'd been having, as I realized it would be difficult for her to
be explicit in front of dad and she might not give enough information.
After the apptment, the doctor called me and gave me "not great" news.
Since he and the doctor they saw while he was away had tried small adj-
ustments to dad's sinemet and it had resulted only in more rigidity and
just as many if not more episodes of paranoia, etc., he has concluded
that the PD is actually affecting those areas of the brain that control
the paranoia, dementia, etc. The only help he can offer is an anti-
psychotic drug called RISPERDAL which I think is to help keep him calm.

BTW my mother was aware I would be speaking with the doctor.

They got the prescription filled today and dad told her he'd rather not
take it...very calmly.  She's not going to push it, maybe he'll take it
tomorrow.

Has anyone out there heard of or taken Risperdal? Doctor says it's new and
not supposed to cause the Parkinson symptoms that some older ones are said
to.

Any advice on getting him to take it?

I'll admit I'm disappointed.  I guess I was hoping for a fix of the sit-
uation.  I'm now going to try and concentrate on his quality of life
(and mom's, too) when he is lucid or at  least not upset.

I'll be eagerly awaiting your responses from tonight until Aug. 26, when
I'll be traveling to California for 10 days or so and will be "turning
mail off" temporarily.

Betti Adams
-

Betti S. Adams [log in to unmask]