"Janice B. Payne" <[log in to unmask]>

Just saw your note stating that you were told not to take water pills. My
right foot and ankle edema can be alleviated by lying with my leg and foot
higher or by using a Potassium-sparing Diuretic and Hydrochlorothiazide
combination.  My Rx is for "Triamterene (75mg)/Hydrochlorothiazide (50mg)
generic for "Dyazide" or "Maxide".  I only need 1/2 of 1 pill for a few days
and do not take any unless I am really bothered by swelling and pain when I
walk.The US Pharmacopeial Convention, Inc. (USP) which sets US standards for
drug products says the medicine is used for: 1. to treat high blood pressure,
and 2. to help reduce water in the body by increasing the flow of urine, and
3. to treat problems caused by TOO LITTLE potassium in the body.  Taking 1/2
of a pill does add to my problem of urgency and frequency.

The warnings instruct us to tell the Doc if we are: 1. taking cortisone-like
medicines; cyclosporine: digitalis; lithium; methenamine; other diuretics of
antihypertensives; potassium-containing neducubes or supplements; or
medicines for appetite control, ashma, colds, cough, hay fever, or sinus. Of
if you have medical problems, especially kidney or liver disease.

I believe I have been warned of long-term effects, but neither my Neurologist
or Primary Care MD said anything or responded when I asked.  Am I missing
something?  Please let me know why three doctors said not to take water
pills.  {Allergic, pregnant, breast-feeding? Also a warning.}

In addition I am up to .375 mg daily of Permax which also lowers my blood
pressure and makes me drowsy.  They must interact in some ways. I would
appreciate learning any information you or others have regarding using water
pills and PD.

Fred