"Michael P. Sherman" <[log in to unmask]>

It is difficult to even imagine what you are going through. If I hadn't read
so much of the List mail since I joined, including some of the Archives, your
situation would likely have traumatized me and brought excessive tears again.
 For some weird reason just meeting more and more Parkinsonians and realizing
the complexity, uncertainty and inexorable progression of PD gives me
perspective, hope, and a very strong feeling of not being alone.  This group
will help you in every way it can, especially in developing a positive
attitude which you will hear over and over is the key- and I am convinced
they are right.

Many unfortunates have never been married to a wonderful, caring partner;
never had a daughter and son like you and I; never lived to be even 48, but
were cut down by our world, you have known many; never felt the satisfaction
of helping others in a great profession. If I knew you better, I could go on
and on.  I try to look at the world we are now in and feel good about my
place in it.  Your place is important to many and they need your best.  At
first I couldn't even begin to approach this attitude; now it does't take so
long.   Most of the time now I am not angry or depressed-just do the many
interesting things I carefully placed on my "To Do" list (So I wouldn't
forget them).  I will never give up no matter how bad it gets and I will do
what I can to stop PD in its tracks!

Here are My non MD, personal, perhaps unfounded answers to your questions
(even though by now many already have responded) because I believe all
questions should get answered.  Based on my experience and to a large degree
influenced by List members:

1. PD progresses at different rates for different people. No two of us are
alike in symptoms, medications, age of onset or just about anything else.  My
Neuro and I are using the common meds to slow it down: Simemet CR, Eldepryl,
and Permax so far.

2. Of course your worst fears COULD become the reality for you, but with your
background I can't believe it.  From time to time I think the worst and even
start planning. A Longterm Insurance Plan from Public Employees Retirement
system hit my real mailbox recently. What turmoil that brought.  Until then I
had never heard of DLA or is is ADL - activities of daily living; like
getting out of  bed.  On this list you will hear about many hopeful new
developments.  Stay tuned to them.

3. Not only has there been much discussion about herbs and herb tea,
vitamins, holistic medicine, and maybe acupuncture; but just about anything
else you can imagine including the philosophy and "religion" underneath/or
above them.   Learn to search the List Archives for topics you are
interested.  It is huge.

4. Yes, reading the List messages will make you depressed at times, but
encouraged, hopeful, informed (most of the time); and you will meet friends
with PD with almost exactly the same condition, feelings, and methods of
coping. With about 1000 people worldwide for you to meet, it can happen!
  Unfortunately most watch and read, but do not speak. That is their right.
 What if everyone felt obligated to answer your questions.  We would be
reading this list for a long long time.

5. Trusting your Neuro may come in time.  After all he gave you the PD news &
blues.  He will sometimes seem uninformed, or opinionated; uncaring but
friendly; inexperienced with PD but knowledgable.  Mostly he/she will be
inscrutable, a little "cold" and somewhat "distant".  Truth is they vary just
as Parkinsonians do.  You will read "horror" stories about some, and Extreme
praise about others.  You may need to change or you may be with your neuro
for many years.  I got a second opinion about the diagnosis and Rx-mostly to
meet another one of "them".  Ask around.  Wait till you hear about the
researchers and surgeons all over the world working on our disease. I will
probably stick with mine as long as we agree on what to do (perhaps I should
say, "As long as he gets along with Glenyth, my wife.")

This was far too long- I tend to get carried away.  Helps me forget and I
feel like I'm back in my classroom or reading student papers.

Just one more comment---(do you know the detective?).  Some Listees are
fascinated, almost consumed by the search for the cause(s) of PD.  Your story
will support one of the major concerns. I will now contribute two more:  I
was born early at 4lb, 6oz with multiple intestinal hernias in 1926 when no
pre-natal units were even thought of.  I'm sure that the lack of sufficient
oxygen and blood circulation caused the brain damage which eventually led to
my Pd; and the fact that my sister was ordered to never let met cry for fear
of my spilling my guts socialized my sole and feelings to the point of no
return from the cold deep abyss of my true beginning causing my PD the moment
I began to enjoy life.

Fred Turner <[log in to unmask]>