Dear Sheila,

Just wanted to update you on what's happening (and not) here in MO.  The
Gateway Movers and Shakers met today with Mary Ann Renick in Dick
Gephardt's office.  Like the others we've spoken with, she was
sympathetic and positive.  She did point out that Gephardt doesn't
sponsor legislation because he's minority leader, but he can influence
others (and will hopefully do so).  So far we've visited personally with
reps from Ashcroft, Bond, Volkmer, Talent, and Gephardt's offices.  They
were all supportive but noncommital; Talent makes it a policy not to
support one worthy cause over another (so then what does he DO in Congress?)
Would like some guidance on what to do next.

On the plus side, we've sent off approximately 8,000 letters to Kassebaum
and committee.  Oddly enough, she hasn't replied yet!  She'll probably
tell us what she's told the others on the Net - there's too much overhead
in the bill.  How should we respond to that?  I hate to let the big one go.

Bill Heitman's proposal is that we begin sending medicine bottles and PD
fact sheets every day to Kass and committee.  Is this a good idea or will
it piss them off?  Saul Siegal seems to have had some success doing
this.  Please advise.

Pat