I'm too new to be expert about spamming, but from what I see here are some
ideas:

1. Commercial advertising on otherwise free media is common, and use of
email should be no surprise. In other media such use is often controlled
by law, with fines for violation. For example in some communities if you
park your car on the street with a "for sale" sign, you might expect a
citation by local police, at enough cost to be discouraging. Likewise, if
you tack a notice of your garage sale to an electric pole on public
property, you may be charged for it by the authorities. Many communities
restrict how you may advertise even on your own property, on the theory
that such ads are seen from adjacent property which is public.

2. You won't discourage the spammer by flaming on your own list- he uses
an automatic address system and never reads any electronic responses.
Likewise, jamming his mailbox probably won't work because he is smart,
and switches to a new service provider after each big mailing. He will
have a new ID every time so you can't just automatically reject any
particular caller. If you do try to respond by email, you risk letting
him retaliate by messing up your own personal address.

3. The spammer's Achilles heel is use of surface mail. He can't expect
you to send money by email, so every message has to contain a real
surface mail address, either an office or a home, where he can receive
your money. Even with only a post office box, it is still easy for the
authorities to find him. Postal laws usually are strict, and the
spammer will probably be careful to avoid any violation of those laws.

4. It is easy to program a listserver to reject email from any particular
sender address, but that probably won't be effective for long, for the
reasons outlined above. You might base rejection on the surface mail
address, which is harder to change, but that would require scanning
through the body of every single incoming message to look for the
offender.

5. The only way to discourage the offensive practice of spamming is to
make it costly, and that would require laws and regulation, something
that horrifies most users. But the only alternative is to suffer the
nuisance; without any risk of real penalties, the smart offender can
always get around any other deterrent. As long as spamming remains dirt
cheap and free of any substantial penalty, you may expect it to continue.

J. R. Bruman (818) 789-3694
3527 Cody Road
Sherman Oaks CA 91403