Wendy Swanbeck wrote:

" Vitamin E formulations:  You have a lot of choices.

        There are the mixed tocopherols vs the specific (alpha beta
and other tocopherol's).  The alpha is known to be the most
biologically active which is the one I take.  Less is known about the
other ones.  You may wish to take the mixed, but you may want to
increase the dosage if you do.

        There is the d-alpha verses the dl-alpha.  This difference is
important.  The d-alpha is the natural form, the dl-alpha is a
synthetic form which is actually a different molecule (l is for left
handed I think).  It is known to be much less biologically active
(something like by a factor of 3 to 10).  It's also much cheaper than
the d- form so you will usually find the dl- form available.  Although
I've heard more recently that the international unit system is
supposed to account for the difference in biological activity (100 IU
of dl-alpha is much more than 100 IU of d-alpha) I never confirmed
that (I read that in American Health magazine, so who knows).  Since
it's a different molecule anyway, I don't trust it at all and wouldn't
recommend that anyone buy that.  I've even seen some supplements that
are mixed up with some d- and some dl- mixed together.  Please read
labels carefully.  You'll have much better luck in a health food store
than in a small drug store finding the natural form.

        One other less important note.  There is also a "tocopheryl"
form verses a "tocopherol" form.  I think supplements are normally
tocopherol.  The only time this seems to matter is when you want to
put some on your skin.  The tocopheryl form is very soothing on your
skin.  Its helpful for burns and sunburn, and can be good for
complexions too since its very lubricating and healing.  The
tocopherol form is irritating to the skin.  The only time I look for
this is when I'm looking for a topical form."

The information seems erroneous in regard to d and l forms.  d is short for
dextro and l is short for laevo or levo.  These isomers of the same
chemical are configuration differences which cause polarized light to
rotate when passing through the material.  The dextro form rotates the
light to the right (Latin "dextro") and the levo form to the left (Latin
"laevo").

It is believed that ALL living organic molecules are laevo (levo-)
rotatory.  Therefore, the "l" form only is beneficial to us. This is
universally true on this planet.  Manufacture often produces equal amounts
of d and l isomers.  Since separation is expensive - and d molecules are
biologically inert - the mixed d,l alpha tocopher... chemicals are sold at
less cost.  Vitamin E is dissolved in some oil and encapsulated withother
ingredients typically.

Ron  <[log in to unmask]> Ronald Vetter