Dear friends,

Well, it came to pass.  In the early AM of August 15th lying awake in room
1234 at the Mass. General Hospital. I was trying to decide what was more
annoying; my roommate's snoring, his T.V. being on or both of these
distractions.
Of course, I was looking for any distraction to avoid feelings which were
coming up this special day.  8 AM was the designated hour but for some reason,
I was told to get ready at 5:10 AM when in fact I wasn't moved to the "staging
area" until 6:30 AM and then back to my room at 12:10 PM.  What passed in the
intervening time was a remarkable experience. In the operating room was Dr.
Cosgrove, his assistant, the anesthetist, a couple of nurses, a visiting
physician or 3, a medical student, another neurologist on Dr. Cosgrove's tean,
and the well wishes and felt good thoughts from many of you that crowded into
the room making it a very positive atmosphere.

This is my long-winded way of thanking you for your thoughts, ideas, and
encouragement.  For the past 3 or so months, my sister Gail, has been scouring
the Parkinson List for information regarding pallidotomys.  A wealth of in-
formation became available much of which was relevent and sometimes
fascinating.  I absorbed much of it and drew strength from it.  My mind was
wide open although my heart fluttered some.

I especially want to thank Doug from Marblehead, MA and Donna from somewhere in
R.I. They proceeded me on Dr. Cosgrove's schedule and shared their personal
stories with me. I most especially want to thank my sister for her love,
support and practical advice.

The outcome?  Glad you asked!  I've carried the Parkinson diagnosis for the
past 13 years.  It started in my left arm and hand and gradually worked its way
into my left leg, right leg, right arm, abdominal muscles and neck.  My tremor,
rigidity, propensity to freezing episodes, an increasing inarticulateness,
a vicious dyskenesia and limited and uncertain relief from medication became
daily problems.  This one-time clinical social worker noted to be a work-
aholic took a medical leave of absense in June, 1994.

8 days post surgery.  The choice was to do the pallidotomy on my right brain.
Now my left side is usually free from tremor, rigidity, dyskenesia and freezing.
Voice difficulties and poor sleep have subsided.  Last night I slept 8 hours
and was quick to rise, walking tall and true.  There has been some bilateral
improvement with the tremor, rigidity, freezing and dyskenesia, while present,
less incapacating.

Two surgery induced problems (in my opinion) - a slowness in recognizing
names and voices on the phone and a mild inability to use my tongue to form
words and speak - have nearly disappeared.  In addition to my remaining
rightside symptoms and drug-induced dyskenesia, one new problem perplexes me.
I have no discernable sense of the medication beginning, no noticeable "on"
signal.  Actually, I'm not sure the medication is working.  I realize I will
have bouts of brief and prolonged dyskenesia for a week or so after surgery,
but this feels different.

People are already asking if I'll have the other side "done".  They certainly
are in a rush. If and when I do, I will use much of what I've learned and
hopefully be emotionally uplifted - if not improved upon surgically.  First
of all, I will again talk with people who have had the second side done months
after the first side.  Doug and Donna's williness to share their experience
has been invaluable.

Secondly, I will take with me a 3 day supply of my medications.  Hospitals don't
like that, but I found problems in depending on the hospital's pharmacy and
the promptness of delivery via the nursing staff.  The pharmacy at MGH actually
didn't stock one of the drugs I routinely take.  In this day of computers
that should not be a problem.  Promptness of delivery is another question.
Each nursing shift seemed to have a different idea as to what medications I
was due and when.  It's helpful to be a pleasant but assertive squeaky wheel.

3rd, I'll get more of a tour of the hospital floor.  I found a kitchen and
linen supply, but not a beautiful, bright lounge which overlooked the Charles
River.

4th, I'll bring my own plastic shower cap.  A neurological unit without shower
caps!!!

5th. There was much waiting done during my hospitalization and often enough
I stiffened up quite a bit.  Next time I'll be more assertive in getting some-
one to move my legs around.  While waiting to enter the operating room I asked
one of the nurses to unclench my toes which provided much relief.

6th. I'll insist that the nursing staff get me on my feet as soon as possible
following surgery.  I was encumbered by a Saline IV drip, getting up on my
nonusual side of the bed and using a body unaccustomed to its new strengths.

7th.  Next time I'll get my street clothes on sooner.  When you are in
hospital garb you get treated like a patient and while the majority of the
medical, administrative, food service and housekeeping staff are great,
it would have been to my advantage to be a nonpatient.

Lastly.  Next time while thanking the excellent staff, I'll give myself a
pat on the back.  I'm pretty tough.

Anyone reading this who would like to exchange info on the proceedure or
on Parkinson's in general should send their E-mail address to my sister
and she will provide them with my phone number in Eastern Mass.

Thank you,

George