Hi Will and other readers:  The little smileyface and other symbols are called
emoticons, and I devoted a bit of space in the third edition of the St.
Martin's Handbook to a discussion/descsription of them.  They are much more
fully explored in a little book on electronic literacy, which I cite in the
instructor's annotated edition, p. 518 or thereabouts.  Unfortunately, I don't
have a copy of this instructor edition at hand--but perhaps another reader will
give you this source.  If not, let me know and I'll dig it out.  All best -
Andrea Lunsford