Dear Mr. Mangion,

Pallidotomy is a surgical procedure designed to relieve symptoms of Parkinson's.

The theory behind it is as follows. It has been found that people with PD have
hyperactive neurons sending "bad" signals to the body. These signals are
responsible for the stiffness, as well as the diskynesias (involuntary movements
associated with Sinemet use). The neurons in question are located in a region of
the brain called the "globus Pallidus", hence "pallidotomy". The procedure is
for neurosugeons to make a small hole in the skull, and after careful probing to
make sure they are in the right place, they "ablate" (essentially cook) the
globus pallidus
until it is no longer functioning and the "bad" signals stop. The patient is
supposed to feel better immediately.

The risks include stroke, if they hit a blood vessel during probing procedure,
which could lead to some paralysis, or, in the worst case, death. The benefits,
however, are real. I had a right pallidotomy a few weeks ago and I am a changed
man.

Speak to your neurologist about this - he will know to whom you should be
referred for evaluation. The procedure is now available almost everyewhere, and,
I hear, is covered by many insurance carriers in the U.S.

Best of luck,

William Berman