My father, who is 76 yrs old and has had PD for over 20 yrs, was displaying
psychotic behavior.  I heard about Clozaril on this list and several
people said they had good results with it.  So we asked my Dad's doctor
(Dr. Goetz, in Chicago) and they decided to put him in the hospital to begin
treatment.  My dad went on the drug last Friday and it has been terribly
down hill ever since.  He is more agitated, very sleepy, extremely
disoriented, and mumbles alot.  His sleeping pattern is all turned around
so he sleeps during the day and is awake at night.  Since it was a
holiday weekend, we could not get a doctor to look at him until Tuesday.
We never did get ahold of Dr. Goetz (he wouldn't return phone calls).  A
Neurologist who did see my Dad, decided to lessen the dosage of Clozaril
and to take my Dad off Parlodel.  All I know is my Dad is exhibiting
behavior he never has before he went on this drug.  The doctors did an
MRI which showed my Dad's brain had atrophied, but they said it was not
related to PD.  Has anyone else has such bad luck with Clozaril?  The
doctors are saying it affects everyone differently.

- Rachel Balsam ([log in to unmask])