Actually this is my 2nd time on the list.  The first time I was with a
service that was extremely slow and difficult to operate (for me).  I
finally gave up in frustration and signed off.  Since then I have taken a
class on working the internet and am with a very speedy and cost efficient
service.  So....

I was diagnosed with PD in January 1992.  My father and an uncle, on his
side of the family, both died with PD.  I will be 64 later this month, I was
diagnosed at a much younger age than my father and uncle, but my symptoms
are not as bad as theirs.  I have no tremor -- except very minimally
sometimes.  My problems are rigidity and slowness.  I am on eldepryl and
sinemet, 25/100 and CR.  I try to maintain on CR but sometimes I need a kick
in the pants to get going, especially in the morning.  I exercise fairly
regularyly but I really cramp up when I overdo.

The PD has affected me in two other ways:  1)  I have an awful time
recalling names of things or people -- common things or people.  I joke
about not recalling the word for that woman who gave birth to me, for
example.  But sometimes it is that bad.  This problem is particularly
pronounced when I am the speaker, whether one on one or before a group of
people.  2)  When under any pressure or stress I become rattled and
confused.  When I am going to do something, like go to town, I make
preparations way before time and get ready long before I am going, otherwise
I end up not going because I am almost reduced to tears.

What is interesting about these two problems is that I have been affected in
what was my greatest strength.   I am a retired Ph.D. social worker who
taught at universities for more than ten years and before I retired, I was
constantly in court as an expert witness and acting as a guardian ad litem
for abused and neglected children.  I had always been praised and rewarded
for my ability as a public speaker, my clarity of thought under pressure,
etc.  But no more.

Now I spend my time working on a book and doing genealogical research.  My
great-grandfather left a detailed diary of his experience in the Civil War
and I have been putting this together to hopefully get it published.  But to
do this, I have had to study the Civil War, something about which I had
previously had no interest and little knowledge.  Then to better understand
this man -- he was a Yankee who fought for the Confederacy -- I had to delve
into genealogical research.  Again, another area in which I had no interest
nor knowledge.  But now I am hooked.  What a marvelous pasttime for me.
However, it has taken on the aspects of a grand obsession, but I guess that
gives me my interest in living.

Thank you all for being there and I do enjoy all the comments, articles, and

Helen Ormsby : [log in to unmask]                           "No matter where
you go, there you are."
Eagle River, Alaska 99577
Buckeroo Banzai