>Although only 14 messages are listed, both message 1 and message 2 have
>(2) after them indicating there are two messages with the same subject line.
>
>On Thu, 7 Sep 1995, Jon Stedman wrote:
>
>> Hi There!  I am curious about missing messages from this ListServer.
>>
>> The example below is a case of missing messages.  It announces that there are
>> 16 messages, but then only 14 messages are delivered.
>> What's happin'?

I have two theories that are both wild guesses:

1)  Your mailer somehow 'threads' messages, that is, it stacks the reply
    to the initial messages 'behind' the original.

2)  Your mailer is set up to only deliver small messages to your machine.

In either case, playing with the mailer options may yield some luck for you.