>I would guess that the next question on pesticides should be: how to
>prevent others from being affected by exposure to pesticides.  Is
>there any way, other than totally stopping their use?  Can farmers
>use proper breathing apparatus when handling this stuff so they can
>greatly reduce the danger?  I am concerned because a number of my
>relatives farm, and it is far too easy to ignore the risk of
>something which might happen ten or twenty years in the future.
>
>Thanks
>
>NPA

>Norm Archer                  Phone 905-525-9140 Ext. 23944
>Management Science &         FAX   905-521-8995
>   Information Systems       Email [log in to unmask]
>McMaster University
>School of Business
>Hamilton, Ontario  L8S 4M4
>Canada

Norm,

Whoa!  Post that question to the people on the organic gardening listserve
and see the barage of mail you'll get.  :-)  Sure, there are alternatives to
chemical exposure, like not using them, but the question is, is there a way
to make alternatives economical in a society driven by the bottom line!

I'm a fourth generation Kansan farmer (by proxy now since I live in
Virginia).  A number of years ago our tenant farmer trucked manure by semi
from the local cattle feed lot to spread on a newly acquired quarter of land
(160 acres) that was terribly depleted of nutrients and topsoil. The entire
operation cost around $20,000 as I remember.  I wondered, at the time, how
long it would take to recoup the investment, if ever.  In terms of dollars,
it could be calculated.  In terms of the long-term impact, perhaps 20 or 30
years later, as you say, of a rippling effect on the environment, or the
farmer and his family, I don't know.  Although the corn crop was outstanding
the next season,  I think that we are the only farmers in that county who
has ever opted for manure-enrichment plan in such a way.  (I could just
picture the neighbors scratchin' their heads and asking what that darned
family was up to now!)  Anyway, the reason others don't truck in manure is
the ticket price, I'm sure.  Fertilizer and chemicals are not cheap, but
cheaper than that!

But, back to your question.  Yes, farmers are told, warnings are printed,
extension agents continually are extolling the virtues of using adequate
protective gear, following label instructions etc when applying chemicals.
I don't know if the warnings are followed much of the time, and I really
question just how much protection is offered by the use of masks and gloves.
(Any studies you know of, Wendy?) I have a feeling the label warnings from
the industry are for liability protection or to meet some EPA ruling.  Any
other farmers out there care to comment?

You're absolutely right.  Much, much more needs to be done to limit exposure
to toxins in the farming community as elsewhere, however I'm afraid that
industry (via the U.S. Congress?)  will be the major opponent to change, as
well, in some cases, as the farmers themselves, caught in an economic bind,
themseves.  As you say, it's hard to look down the road 30 years when next
year's crop is in the balance.

Thanks for bringing up an interesting and important topic.

Ruth Thatcher