Dear Friends,

        Now that my Daddy has gotten to "know" you better through your
poems, messages, etc., he's feeling more comfortable about asking a
question.  He wants to know if anyone experiences a reoccurring problem with
breathlessness.

        He is 76 years old, with PD for about 8 years.  During this last
year, he began to suffer from severe, debilitating dyskinesias when his
Sinemet-CR began to wear off.  His neurologist took him off the CR
completely.  Now his dosages are:

        8:00 a.m.       25/100 Sinemet
        12:00 Noon      25/100 Sinemet
        4:00 p.m.       25/100 Sinemet

        9:00 a.m.       1 5-mg. Eldepryl

About the third hour after taking each dosage of Sinemet, he starts to have
a mild dyskinesia (feet and hands twitching--uncomfortably, but not
painfully), which is accompanied by breathlessness--a frustrating, almost
frightening sense of not being able to breathe.  This
twitching/breathlessness lasts an hour or so until his next dose of Sinemet
kicks in.  Since he doesn't take anything after 4:00 p.m., his nighttime
breathlessness often lasts much longer than an hour.

Is this a normal, expected side effect of the wearing off of medication,
and/or a normal part of dyskinesia?  Does anyone else experience the
breathlessness?  And has anyone found relief for this problem?  I would
appreciate hearing of your experiences.

Thanks!

Lucy Hartley