In article "Jack W. Farmer" <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>Our doctor recently told us that there might be a new medicine for
>Parkinson's coming out in the next year or two. He wasn't any more
>specific than that. Has anyone else heard of this medicine?

Tasmar by Roche Laboratories will be the next Parkinson's agonist to hit the
pharmacy shelves. Tasmar is the trade name selected by Roche for tolcapone
which is wrapping up Phase III trials.

Phase II trial results showed that tolcapone plus levodopa increased the
1/2 life of the levodopa effect reducing "OFF" time.

Taken in doses of 200 mg/ three times a day, "OFF" time decreased 39% while
allowing reduction of carbidopa/levodopa by an average 200 mg/day.

Side effects were typically dopaminergic and were reduced by lowering the
dosage of levodopa.

John Cottingham                     "KNOWLEDGE is of two kinds: we know
[log in to unmask]                      a subject, or we know where we can
OR                                   find information upon it."
[log in to unmask]            Dr. Samuel Johnson