In article <Pine.SOL.3.91.950913145219.28847A-100000@coinc0> "A. Lee Belcher"
 <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>We were glad to have the status reports on new medicines from you and
>others. May we expand the data by asking which Phase the clinical trials
>are in for Cabergoline.

>Also, which company is developing Cabergoline? Is this experimental
>medicine available in Europe or any foreign countries outside of
>Europe?

>Thanks, Lee

>A. Lee Belcher / [log in to unmask]

The compound cabergoline which is winding up Phase III clinical trials is
being sponsored by Pharmacia, Columbus OH.

Cabergoline is administered as a single morning dose that in comparison
test with bromocriptine, resulted in less waking hours spent "OFF".

Adverse effects included hallucinations, dyskinesias, erythromelalgia,
orthostatic hypotension, nausea, headache and insomnia.

Other drugs noted by list participants:

pramipexole   by Boehringer Ingelheim Pharamaceuticals      Phase III
                 (Ridgefield, CT)
                 and Upjohn (Kalamazoo, MI)

ropinirole    by SmithKline Beecham (Philadelphia, PA)      Phase III

As many as 5 other compounds are in Phase II trials at the major centers
(including one for impotence).

Due to trials results being proprietory information, unless it is published
or reported at a seminar, we have no way of being informed as to where to
go to participate. Compounds that are found to be "as good as" something
already on the market seldom make it beyond Phase II. Since PD research is
still in its infancy, there are several more "Sinemets" to be found and
brought to market.

There are also compounds being developed/tested for essential tremor (ET).

John Cottingham    "KNOWLEDGE is of two kinds: we know a subject,
                    or we know where we can find information upon it."
[log in to unmask]                   Dr. Samuel Johnson